Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Simple Syrup

I love sun tea!  Visiting my Mom last week she had a jar of simple syrup in the fridge next to the iced sun tea.  She had infused her syrup with basil!  She's so smart!  It was so delicious.  Just a hint of basil in the tea was fantastic.

I decided that we needed some here at home!  I made a double batch.  2 cups of sugar to 2 cups of water.  Brought to boil on the stove - while mixing so that my sugar would disolve.  I poured 1 cup of syrup into my measuring cup to infuse with lemon.  To the syrup left in the pot I tossed in a handful of fresh picked basil and put the lid on.

First the basil


Next came the lemon

I forgot to take pictures of the finished product which I poured into canning jars.
They're sitting in the fridge nice & cold just waiting for that next cup of iced tea!

What a great way to sweeten your tea without that clump of
undisolved sweetener in the bottom of your glass.

My youngest daughter and the hubby like a bit of each in their glasses!

I have extra basil.  Thinking of making nut-free pesto and freezing
in ice cube trays.  Stay tuned!

Do you make simple syrup?  Have you thought about infusing it with something?

I have my eye on the lavendar in the yard.  Wondering......

1 comment:

loralie said...

I do make simple syrup. Last week I added mango. This week I used peaches. I need to pick some mint from the yard & use it too.