Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Let's play

Name these plants. This one seemed to have sprung up overnight. (Or I just haven't been paying that much attention to that side of the garden.)


Any idea what it could be. I think it's very pretty.



Different angle. Is it a good plant or do I need to yank it?

Here's another. It gets to be about 7' tall with the plumes that hold millions of tiny seeds. They sprout up everywhere, I yank them where I don't want them. It's very pretty. Any idea what it is? Would be great if it were edible.

3 comments:

RUA2J said...

The first one looks like nettles-itchy things & the second looks like maybe a castor bean-poisonous!

Candy C. said...

I don't have a clue, don't have those here in the desert! :(
Try Googling the above suggestions and see what you get!

Fearless Farmgirl said...

The first one isn't actually stinging nettles so no worries there. Nettles don't have such showy flowers. It looks awfully similar to water horehound, a native in the mint family, but not quite. I know I've looked it up before but can't put my finger on it.

The second one is an amaranth or celosia - they tend to reseed!!